Re: old handicam movie camera and kino

On Sunday 29 August 2021 08:21:11 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 12:18:46PM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 04:55:46AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > But if I try to unmute the audio, I get a steady stream of can't
> > > open /dev/dsp so I'm still missing an audio codec I think.
> >
> > Can't-open-permission-denied or
> > can't-open-no-such-file-or-directory?
>
> You're absolutely correct that Gene should try to get in the habit
> of including *useful* information in his help requests.  This includes
> exact error messages.
>
> In this case, we can probably guess that he's missing the OSS
> emulation layer.  He's probably running something so incredibly old
> that it *actually* still tries to use OSS -- thus the attempts to open
> /dev/dsp.
>
> unicorn:~$ ls -l /dev/dsp
> ls: cannot access '/dev/dsp': No such file or directory
>
> To solve that, he might try installing this guy:
>
> unicorn:~$ apt-cache search alsa dsp
> alsa-oss - ALSA wrapper for OSS applications
> [...]

That wasn't the magic twanger Greg.

from the terminal kino was launched in:

ALSA lib pcm.c:2495:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM /dev/dsp
Could not open ALSA device "/dev/dsp": No such file or directory

thousands of them. Camera speaker is alive though.

Thanks Greg.

> I can't claim any personal experience with it, though.  I don't know
> what steps are required beyond installing the package.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis