Re: CUPS permissions

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 02:26:54PM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 08:16:23PM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > The system needs to be updated on the groups the user is in. CUPS will
> > > consult it.
> >
> > there is also newgrp(1), that might do it (I haven't tried it explicitly).
>
> Do what?  What's "it"?
>
> Why would opening a shell with a new set of group privileges inside your
> interactive session change how a daemonized CUPS web agent acts?

I haven't looked into it. I don't even want to know how the client
passes the creds to the server (if at all) [1]. It seems (is it
confirmed?) that belonging to some group (lpadmin?) does the trick.

> Logging out and back in is necessary for ensuring that your interactive
> shells, your word processors, your web browsers, and so forth, are running
> with your newly acquired privileges [...]

That's the part I was proposing newgrp might "do", instead of logging
in anew.

Cheers

[1] I fear I'd get some depression if it is like that and I
   find out ;-)

 - t