Re: CUPS permissions

On Thu 26 Aug 2021 at 11:31:30 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 04:25:54PM +0100, Brian wrote:

[...]

> > I also forgot: after carrying out the corrected procedure, log out and
> > log back in.
>
> This is the part that I don't quite understand.  How does that matter?

The system needs to be updated on the groups the user is in. CUPS will
consult it.

> Does the CUPS daemon connect to some already-running process of the
> user that you log into the web agent with?  Does that mean you have to
> run the web browser *as* the user you plan to use for printer admin, not
> just log into the CUPS web agent with that user?
>
> That doesn't sound right, given the fact that you can log into the web
> agent as "root" without logging into Linux as root, or running the web
> browser as root.
>
> Given the above, I'd expect that the web agent spawns a brand new process
> as root, and then inside of that, it drops privileges down to the user
> that you specified.
>
> Unless "root" is a special hard-coded exception somehow...?

My understanding is:

1. Administration operations in CUPS require an administrator to
   authenticate.

2. An administrator is either the root user or a member of the
   lpadmin group. The group is distro-specific.

3. Either of the two previous users have to be authorised by
   username/password when the web interface is used. This is not
   the case for lpadmin use.

4. The browser is run as the user. Authentication to CUPS is a
   separate issue.

5. pam comes into this somewhere, but I give up at that point.

--
Brian.