Re: smart fans

On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 09:03:51AM -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:

[...]

> Like I already wrote, modifying voltage doesn't change speed of a motor
> (fan).

I disagree. The thing poses [1] as a DC motor (2 pins power, one tacho).
I don't think you get too much control over RPM, but putting the tacho
in the control loop should be possible.

I have no idea what the motherboard/fan manufacturers actually do, though.

Cheers

[1] I'm nearly certain it's a BLDC in disguise, with some electronic goo.

 - t