Re: FOSS "BIOS" (UEFI)

On 2021-08-22 at 02:28, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> Reco wrote:
>
>>> This made me think, is there a FOSS "BIOS" (UEFI) that you can
>>> install/flash to replace the manufacturer's?
>>
>> Coreboot is what you're thinking of. Supported motherboard's list
>> is extremely limited though.
>
> There is a grub-coreboot package, is that it?

No. If you look at the output of

$ apt-cache show coreboot

you'll see that it says

"This is a dependency package for a version of GRUB that has been built
for use with platforms running the Coreboot firmware."

As that indicates, this is not / does not install coreboot itself, it
only installs a version of GRUB that knows how to interact with
coreboot.

> And how do you know if its supported?

Read the coreboot board-compatibility list, which to the best of my
ability to determine on short notice is at:

https://coreboot.org/status/board-status.html

I haven't looked in depth, but
https://doc.coreboot.org/mainboard/index.html and/or the rest of
https://doc.coreboot.org/ might be useful.

> I think I have a
>
> Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
>
> motherboard.

You'd need the actual, internal model number, but I suspect that that is
far too new to be likely to be (well-)supported yet.

--
   The Wanderer