Re: smart fans

On 2021-08-21 9:01 p.m., Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
>
>> Maybe you are playing in something you don't really master
>> the ins and out of the consequence of what you may do.
>> And this is proven by the simple sentence that *hibernation
>> cut Internet*. Unless you have a good reason to risk frying
>> your CPU then leave it alone.
>
> Oh, I meant to post this to the Debian user ML, not
> alt.os.linux ...
>
>> Or buy a system that doesn't use a fan, like the low power,
>> low thermal emission CPU used in laptop with only passive
>> cooling (heatsink).
>
> I had an RPi3 once and it was completely quiet, at least to
> the human ear - no fan. But as you see (the HDD and projector)
> while I used it, the fans were on anyway. But for some reason
> when you use a computer, that noise don't bug you ...
I'll add. the CPU in a Raspberry Pi is meant to be used in embedded
application and other stuff like a cellular phone for example. Those are
ARM type processor. Totally different from a x86/x64 based processor.

ARM are CPU used in cell phone and the latest Mac that runs without a
heat sink.

Nothing compared to a desktop PC.

And even then, there's some Raspberry Pi with a fan.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/new-raspberry-pi-4-case-fan/

So even the RPi if you want more power, a fan would help. Because when
temperature rise, the CPU clock will lower, something specific to ARM CPU.

With AMD/Intel x86/x64 CPU, it's more that it won't allow to upscale the
clock if the temperature is too high inside the CPU.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside