Re: Buster to Bullseye upgrade problem

On Sat 21 Aug 2021, at 13:42, Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de> wrote:
> Gareth Evans <donotspam@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> > So I would like to know if apt is not handling this properly, or if
> > the scenario of a file changing packages (see David's previous email)
> > is an expected exception to the (sort of) rule.

Hi Sven,

> > Shouldn't pitivi 0.999 be disregarded anyway as it's being upgraded?
>
> No, because Debian Policy says that partial upgrades are supported and
> must work.

Interesting, thanks.  I will have a look at [1,2,3] which seem relevant - any good refs would be appreciated, even for other distros if the concepts/techniques are similar.

Many thanks,
Gareth

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/policy.pdf

[2] https://wiki.debian.org/Packaging/Intro