Re: Debian 11 installer crashed and reboot

On 8/19/2021 3:11 PM, Andy Smith wrote:
Hi Chuck,

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 08:04:43AM -0400, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
After some testing of the Debian 11 installer on Xen
(using the debian-11.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso), I find that
this image only supports installation into a Xen PV guest,
the guest always crashes and reboots for either a BIOS
or OVMF boot into an HVM Xen guest.
Could you report this to Debian's Xen team as a bug? Perhaps it is
as simple as needing different kernel options in the netinst
installer kernel given that the full install works under HVM?

Would you also consider the fact that the OP also noted that the
live ISO also crashes and reboots in a Xen HVM guest a bug? My
thought is that both netinst and live amd64 ISOs should work on
a Xen HVM out of the box (OOTB). If I report a bug, I am inclined
to consider the bug to be that both netinst and live amd64 ISOs
crash in Xen HVM guests and the bug should not be closed until
both ISOs work OOTB in a Xen HVM guest on both a default
Xen/Dom0 stable and oldstable installation, so that users of
oldstable can use oldstable to quickly and easily test stable in a
Xen HVM guest. This would require, as I understand it, close
cooperation between the Xen team, the Qemu team, and the
Debian installer developers so those key parts of the Xen HVM
environment play nicely together with the Debian installer.

I also wonder if the bug should be reported to Debian installer
developers instead of to the Xen team.

Cheers,

Chuck