Re: Debian 11 installer crashed and reboot

On 8/21/2021 4:34 AM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

John Mok wrote:
As a quick fix on the make installer media work, how can I remake my own
installation ISO by recompil ing the kernel and initramfs ?
Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
A quick solution would not even require any recompilation
of a kernel, since we know the kernel and ramdisk of
an installed bullseye system does work in a Xen HVM guest.
[...]
I am not familiar with the process that the debian installer team
uses to generate the installation ISOs, but if I wanted to learn
I would start by looking at
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/CheckOut
If there are no checksums in the ISO which would cover the initially
booted kernel and the ramdisk, then you could also go the path of

   https://wiki.debian.org/RepackBootableISO

This article mainly shows how to determine the necessary arguments for
the ISO 9660 producing program. Nevertheless, in
   https://wiki.debian.org/RepackBootableISO#Methods_to_overwrite.2C_delete.2C_or_add_files
it shows some ways how to do the desired manipulations of the ISO's
file tree.

I assume that questions about the entrails of a Debian installation ISO
are best asked at debian-cd mailing list. (Although two of the experts
there happen to be also our friendly list hosts here.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

This is how it should be - I am happy that Debian installer developers are
following the user list. There is no more important Debian user to support
than the user who tries to install Debian for the first time. It is the Debian
installer's job to try to ensure, as far as possible, that a new Debian user
will be able to quickly and easily install Debian on all supported platforms.
I presume that would include at least the bare hardware of the supported
architectures, things like docker/Linux containers and supported virtual
environments such as qemu/kvm and Xen. So the Debian installer developers
should always monitor the Debian user lists for problems that users are having
installing Debian in the supported computing environments.

Cheers,

Chuck