Re: Debian 11 installer crashed and reboot

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 02:30:33PM +0800, John Mok wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Tried to install Debian 11 guest using netinst, but the installer
> crashed and reboot automatically.
>
>  Host: Xen 4.11.4 on Debian 10
> Guest: Debian 11 (kernel 5.10)
>
> Here is the steps to reproduce the problem:-
> 1) Either guest BIOS or OVMF boot
> 2) Select "Expert install" on installation menu
>
> Then, the guest crashed and reboot.
>
> Another try with the installer on Debian Live 11, it immediately
> crashed and reboot.
>
> Is it a installer bug or something ?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> John Mok

I think people would need many more details as to exactly what happens and
when it reboots.

So: You boot the installer - from just a .iso file / from the .iso flashed
to a USB? Can you show what works and at what point it fails?

The quick suggestion would be that it's something to do with Xen hypervisor
but I'm not in any better position than to guess, since I don't use Xen here.

I do know that none of the tests the media team do involve booting on Xen:
in most cases we prefer to run on real hardware. Occasionally, some of the
tests have to be run on KVM/QEMU. Xen as DomU  is untested then.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater