Re: nvme SSD and poor performance

On 20.08.21 18:22, piorunz wrote:
On 17/08/2021 15:03, Marco Möller wrote:
I have no experience with SSD, but running my Debian Desktop from a USB
Memory Stick since years, please allow me to share information which
supports the suggestion of Linux-Fan to also investigate if there is
extraordinary I/O taking place and maybe could be avoided:
In the past I found extreme(!) I/O to be produced by Firefox, when it is
writing its cache, and when it is writing its session restore
information. These writes to my observation occure all the time, kind of
nonstop! I could get it very satisfactorily reduced by applying a tool
called "Profile Sync Daemon" (psd) from package "profile-sync-daemon".
While it is packaged for Debian, as a starting point to study its
documentation I suggest to better look it up in the Arch Linux Wiki.

Firefox setting which determines how often write session data to disk is:
browser.sessionstore.interval

Default setting is value of 15000 = 15 seconds, not that bad. But still
I changed that to 10 minutes (value of 600000). If I lose an open tab
once in a year when Firefox crashes, so be it. To be honest, I haven't
seen Fx crash in a year, or more.

--

With kindest regards, piorunz.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀

browser.sessionstore.interval
Storing the session is not the only data written to the disk. If it would only be this data, then indeed setting a higher interval would be sufficient. But there is much more going on. Especially the cache seems to be a cause for the extreme high I/O of Firefox. That's why I finally decided to go for the psd tool, and this tool made it for me. Well, I assume it has good reasons that someone programmed psd, probably the author also noticed that with Firefox parameters alone it often is not enough to get the I/O to the HDD caused by Firefox significantly reduced?

I am curious to see what's producing the high jdb2 traffic on the system of Pierre, and if this can be stopped and if this finally can be attributed to have been the cause for the trouble.

Unfortunately I did not make good notes on how I searched for what was causing the traffic on my system, I only remember to have monitored my system with iotop and inotifywait.

---
Always stay in good spirits!
Marco