Re: nvme SSD and poor performance

On 17/08/2021 15:03, Marco Möller wrote:
I have no experience with SSD, but running my Debian Desktop from a USB
Memory Stick since years, please allow me to share information which
supports the suggestion of Linux-Fan to also investigate if there is
extraordinary I/O taking place and maybe could be avoided:
In the past I found extreme(!) I/O to be produced by Firefox, when it is
writing its cache, and when it is writing its session restore
information. These writes to my observation occure all the time, kind of
nonstop! I could get it very satisfactorily reduced by applying a tool
called "Profile Sync Daemon" (psd) from package "profile-sync-daemon".
While it is packaged for Debian, as a starting point to study its
documentation I suggest to better look it up in the Arch Linux Wiki.

Firefox setting which determines how often write session data to disk is:
browser.sessionstore.interval

Default setting is value of 15000 = 15 seconds, not that bad. But still
I changed that to 10 minutes (value of 600000). If I lose an open tab
once in a year when Firefox crashes, so be it. To be honest, I haven't
seen Fx crash in a year, or more.

--

With kindest regards, piorunz.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀