Re: Reading of release notes (was Re: Still on stretch, getting ready for bullseye)

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 11:26:18AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> On Wed 18 Aug 2021 at 07:39:26 (-0400), The Wanderer wrote:

> > > Of course! Do users not do this as a standard procedure? :)
> >
> > I don't - because I don't upgrade from one stable release to another; I
> > track testing, continuously, throughout the development cycle. As such,
> > there is no point in the release cycle at which it makes sense for me to
> > read the release notes; at the start of the release cycle they don't
> > exist yet, so there's nothing for me to read, and by the time they're
> > finalized and the release is ready, I'm already fully upgraded.
>
> That seems perfectly reasonable: the issues that get included in the
> Release Notes also get discussed here at the time they become issues.
> And it also means that you never Upgrade from one release to the next.

I've just spent the best part of my weekend hammering out installs as
part of the media team. I'm one of these people that tends to run stable
Debian - I don't bother reading release notes as a general rule if I
think I know what I'm doing - meh, documentation, who needs it :)

I've spent a chunk of time on the #debian IRC channels. Lots of people
hitting a difference between apt-get and apt behaviour as the labels
changed. It turns out that apt-get apparently requires you to take
action and approve something, apt just does it. Query raised several
times: it's in the release notes if anybody bothered to check - that's
the reason why apt is recommended as far as I can see.

This time round, the /etc/apt/sources.list files have changed for the
security repo line. Again, lots of people asking the same sort of
question. If you're doing two full upgrades - go back a couple of years
and look to see what the first set of notes tell you because you will
have forgotten - that was my rationale for saying to read the release
notes in screaming capitals. It was a more visible reminder.

If anyone chooses to run testing continuously - they know the security
status, they know to expect huge churn just after a release / when a
new version of GNOME / KDE is being assembled and there are library
transitions and so on. Each to their own for something like this: there's
no "royal road to Debian" that is the one true way to do things.

> > It always bothers me to see "read the release notes!" hammered on as a
> > reasonable thing to expect users to do, in terms which presents users
> > who fail to do so as unreasonable. It probably does make sense in the
> > relatively limited (if also probably relatively common) case of
> > upgrading from (old)stable to stable, but it is certainly not so
> > universal a matter as to make failing to do it so inappropriate that
> > hammering on it in such absolute terms becomes appropriate.
>
> So exactly what's /bothering/ you? As a bystander.

As a bystander, it bugged me far more today to see someone banging on
a configuration file as root today without taking a copy beforehand.
[Or in fact generally not taking a backup of a config file before
you rewrite it: I'm a coward in the light of bad experiences and still
screw things up after 20++ years of routine daily Debian use].

> Cheers,
> David.

Thanks to all for sharing perspectives.

All the very best, as ever,