Re: Still on stretch, getting ready for bullseye

On Wednesday 18 August 2021 08:05:43 Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 09:12:24AM +0100, Tixy wrote:

> > > [...]
> >
> > Greg *was* trying to help Gene (and us) by getting him to read
> > documentation from the Debian project, rather than picking one of
> > several different 'easy' suggestions from this list.
> >
> > If you read the release notes you get a clue what to expect and what
> > to do. Or you can not bother and just rely on the helpful people on
> > this list.
> >
> > I know from my upgrade to Buster I had to take action due to
> > AppArmor and nftables now being default and ending up migrating from
> > legacy network names to new 'predictable' network names. Looking at
> > the release notes again, there's also changes to increase security
> > with sshd and OpenSSL, and with Systemd needing entropy at boot
> > (Gene has some ARM boards the latter may hit).
> >
> > Want to take bets that Gene won't be back in a few days with
> > problems caused by some of the above changes? He could save himself,
> > and you, time and hassle if he read the release notes.
>
> Yes, yes, and yes. Agreed that you should read the release notes.
>
> I tried to put more of it into one email with pointers to where the
> info was derived from so that it was in one place rather than five
> emails. A convenience factor - not detracting from anybody else's
> suggestions.
>
> Like all of us, Gene has his own ways of doing things, his own
> habits and his own ability to do things. That's a necessarily
> "different approach from the way I'd do it / different from my
> experience / abd I'm sure I could do it better myself" situation.
>
> That's OK - his systems, his problems to sort if stuff goes
> wrong - and yes, we could get into a to and fro of a longer thread -
> but if any one of the emails above sorts out how to do this with good
> will and good humour - it's a net win for all concerned.

And I should also point out that the 147 IQ I tested at in the 6th grade
nominally 75 years ago, is at 86, no longer daily achieved, even with a
daily B1 in the pilltainer.

I guess he isn't ready for me, or I'd have missed roll call years ago,
but most pulmonary embolisms, which I had at 79 yo courtesy of a "one a
day" vitamin with way too much vitamin k in it, have a 2% survival rate,
but the oxygen starvation did cost me some of those.

And while doing this, I am also doing a pair of designs in openscad, one
of a rotary drive for a cnc machine, Costing 1% of the commercial
product, and ATM, measureing parts that have never been combined to make
a mount for a sherpa direct drive 3d printers extruder driver, and a
cheap haldis "volcano" hot end assembly with a side mounted BLTouch
probe. All to fit on a CR10-S Pro V2 printer whose hot end was cooked
out of service by the increase in temps that feeding it PETG filament
needs.

All that is way off-topic for this list, only related to show where I now
am mentally/physically. How many 86 yo's do you know that can still
claim doing that...

But now it takes me a week to recover from what I once did all day. That
tends to go with a rebuilt heart thats pumping 30% of what it did 70
year ago, now timed by a pacemaker.

> The list archives are searchable: Google will find stuff on keywords
> and the next person to look will find some element of step by step
> instructions.

And that has to be good for far more folks than this fading old fart
represents.

Thank you. And take care, ALL of you.

> > --
> > Tixy
>
> All the best to all on the list, as ever,
>
> Andy Cater

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis