Re: Wishing for an off-topic mail list with debian-user participants (or most of them)

On 18-08-2021 09:04, Brian wrote:
> On Tue 17 Aug 2021 at 14:56:30 -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Hmm, afaiac, it would be nice to have an off-topic list with the hopes of a lot
>> of the people on debian-user might subscribe to it.
>
> Nice? Really? There was one. It failed abysmally in its task. The boys
> and girls post here what they want when they want. 150+ off-topic posts
> in a recent thread, ranging from comments on user behaviour to plonking
> to 300 baud modems. Self-discipline abandonned.
>
>> Somewhat relevant to the subject of an off-topic mailing list, I'm now puzzling
>> over why an NiMH AA battery tested to hold 18 maHrs seems to power an LED
>> flashilight for many hours longer than an NiMH AAA battery tested to hold 120
>> maHrs (ratio is like 24 hours to 3 hours -- how can that possibly be?  (I'd
>> give a few more details if I was actually askinjg the question on that off-
>> topic mail list.
>
> This paragrapgh illustrates my point. Something is suggested then taken
> immediately off-topic. All in the space of a single mail. There isn't
> any solution. Lie back and think of Debian :).

:-D
Well, that's exactly what it serves!
There's a narrow viewpoint present that believes anything that deviates
from the subject of Debian weakens Debian, when it's _exactly_ the
opposite.
Debian is a community project.
It's strength is reliant on its community.
If that community is limited, it limits Debian.
The more the the community aspect is developed, the better off Debian
is, because it's Debian which benefits.

In this thread, we have had an active demonstration of this.
A member of the Debian community required information in relation to an
`off-topic' subject.
He received the assistance he required from other members.
Relationships are built, so the sense of community builds.
Consequently, Debian benefits.
Cheers!

Harry.

--