Wishing for an off-topic mail list with debian-user participants (or most of them) (was: Re: On improving mailing list [was: How to Boot Linux ISO Images Directly From Your Hard Drive Debian])

On Tuesday, August 17, 2021 10:54:34 AM SDA wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 03:01:43PM +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 08:26:34AM -0400, SDA wrote:
> > > BTW there has been an off-topic list introduced by a community member,
> > > but it seems has had little uptake.
> >
> > I looked into this the other day, because I hadn't seen reference to it
> > for a while. It was called d-community-offtopic; it was hosted on the
> > Alioth server, and I think its eventual demise was when Alioth was
> > turned off in around 2018.
> >
> > The last non-spam message to it was, I think, in 2016. The archives are
> > here:
> >
> > https://alioth-lists-archive.debian.net/pipermail/d-community-offtopic.mb
> > ox/
>
> Thanks for the update Jonathan.

Hmm, afaiac, it would be nice to have an off-topic list with the hopes of a lot
of the people on debian-user might subscribe to it.

Somewhat relevant to the subject of an off-topic mailing list, I'm now puzzling
over why an NiMH AA battery tested to hold 18 maHrs seems to power an LED
flashilight for many hours longer than an NiMH AAA battery tested to hold 120
maHrs (ratio is like 24 hours to 3 hours -- how can that possibly be?  (I'd
give a few more details if I was actually askinjg the question on that off-
topic mail list.