Re: Still on stretch, getting ready for bullseye

On 8/17/21 4:24 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

I just installed another sata controller and 4 1 T-byte Samsung SSD's.

The controller claims to be a 15 port port expander, but only 6 are
bonded out, and collectively show up at ata7 in dmesg.

They show up as /dev/sde/f/g/h but have not otherwise been touched.

So I thought I'd make sure I was up to date, annd possibly install some
raid-ish stuff to prepare this array for use as /home in the bullseye
install, but something is ay least 5000% aglay.

sudo apt update says it wants to gut much of the system and upgrade 2588
packages. Yet my repo list looks like its normal stretch.

What is going on? Do I wind up on buster or should I kiss it all goodbye?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

I keep my OS images smaller than "16 GB" and use small, dedicated devices to hold them (primarily 60 GB 2.5" SATA3 SSD's). (I install 2.5" SATA3 trayless drive racks in my desktops and servers.) The vast majority of my data is on HDD's in RAID in a file server.

To do an OS major version upgrade, I would check-in the OS configuration files, backup the OS filesystem(s), pull the OS device, insert a blank device, do a fresh install to the new OS, update the OS, check-out the old configuration files into a working directory, restore the data, and configure the new OS. When done, I would check-in the OS configuration files, backup the OS filesystems(s), and take a raw image of the new OS device.

David