Re: Aw, snap!

On 8/5/21, Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 05/08/2021 09:23, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running Debian Buster and I have the latest Chromium from Debian and
>> google-chrome-stable from the Google repos and I've been having this
>> problem for the last two days. Basically I get the dreaded "Aw snap" at
>> every single page.
>>
>> I deleted all profiles, started with a blank one, no extensions, both
>> browsers still crash at every occurrence. It happens mostly on Google
>> services (Gmail, google search) but also on any page containing media,
>> that is, 99.9% of the web.
>>
>> I haven't changed any settings lately, so I wonder what it could be. Is
>> it just me?
>

> I forgot to add that I also did a "apt-get purge" and reinstall of both
> browsers.

Hi, I'm just thinking out loud here. Can you try running it from a
terminal to see if it spews out any warning or error messages? Maybe
it will show that some kind of additional library file is missing...
or something...

Maybe check to make sure that it has permission to access the
Internet, too. Some of these browsers have that feature where you can
toggle it, tell it to only work offline via a setting in the
Preferences menu.

Lastly, I just tried to reinstall Chromium to give it a quick run
myself. It balked until I manually take that extra step to tell it to
yes, install, despite this notable outstanding bug:

So I tried "apt-cache policy chromium". That says my (allegedly) now
Debian bookworm will only upgrade to "90.0.4430.212-1". Meanwhile,
that #990079 bug is saying upgrade to "91.0.4472.114" for important
security related reasons. I checked via a Debian site-wide package
search and by manually poking into experimental, and "90.0.4430.212-1"
is approximate the latest release I'm finding there.

The failure you're describing sounds like something that might be
caught up in security issues.. meaning it sounds like it's possibly
about [scripts] or suchly. If you're a diehard Chromium fan, it sounds
like its Developers are strongly recommending stepping outside a
classic upgrade path to pull from a repository that's outside your
normal route.

That's occasionally one of those "executive decisions" we Users end up
making depending on our individual needs. The wicd-curses package that
is how I access the Internet is from experimental and has been 100%
reliable for a year or more. Thank you, Developers!

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey
* runs with birdseed *