losetup: cannot find an unused loop device , kernel config of loopback device

I'm running bullseye / debian 11.0 testing. I have been running a
script that is supposed to write a filesystem image (for chromiumOS).
In short I'm getting the following

losetup: cannot find an unused loop device
partx: stat of  failed: No such file or directory
partx: stat of  failed: No such file or directory

Or for a greater description http://ix.io/3v3i

Looking up the error someone mentioned that the kernel needed to be
configured to support loopback devices. I was curious where the kernel
config is located. I looked at https://wiki.debian.org/KernelFAQ and
it seems to be extremely out of date. Referencing a 2.6 kernel and
mentioning kernel configs at /boot/ which are not existent on my
system.

Can someone tell me where I should look for the kernel for the
loopback setting?

Better yet, does anyone know how to solve my problem with the script
or losetup? Could this be an issue building from a chroot environment
with a different kernel version? Or building the image from a btrfs
filesystem?