Re: Issues with Bullseye

On Sun 15 Aug 2021 at 09:52:01 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> On Sun 15 Aug 2021 at 15:36:05 (+0100), Brian wrote:
> > On Sun 15 Aug 2021 at 16:13:51 +0200, Hans wrote:
> >
> > > Yeah, not quite. I was already aware, that https won't improve security much.
> > >
> > > I just wondered, why the docu once is telling "use https" and once "http". If
> > > only using https or either http, this would not create confuseness.
> > >
> > > Looks like I am too critical. am I not? :)
> >
> > There isn't any such thing as being "too critical" when it comes to
> > technical matters :).
> >
> > A link to the page you were looking at might help.
>
> I assume this refers to § 5.1.3 in the Release Notes.
>
> A browser has no problem reaching the site with/without the http"s",
> but I don't know about APT. However, the OP had the (usual) syntax
> error, so that may be the cause of their specific problem.

I asked on -doc but there isn't any definitive answer yet. So then
I looked to see what the bullseye installer does when configuring
the package manager.

The protocol choice is still between http, https and ftp. I chose
http as I always have done. The lines put in /etc/apt/sources.list
both begin with http://.

Back to the menu and select https. No choice of country mirroe is
allowed. The only offering is deb.debian.org. I assume that is
because it is the only mirror that can be assumed to support https.
The security mirror is still http://... . The other is https://... .

My conclusion is that the line in § 5.1.3 in the Release Notes is
either an overenthusiastic entry or a typo. Either way the advice
there should really be consistent with what the installer does,
even if it does not lead to any problems.

--
Brian.