Re: how to to start X Window in debian-live-11.0.0-i386-standard.iso

Greg Wooledge [2021-08-15 10:30:27] wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 15, 2021 at 04:13:37PM +0200, sp007@caiway.net wrote:
>> lou what about
>> # apt install xorg fluxbox
>>
>> $ startx
>
> In theory that might work (you may also need firmware), but the amount
> of bandwidth you'd burn through downloading *all* those packages each
> and every time you boot the live image would be an appalling waste.

I expect the vast majority of Debian Live images nowadays are written to
USB flash storage rather than to read-only media, so I think it would
make a lot of sense for those live images to offer the ability to change
the image with things like `apt install`.

Personally, I've used (minimal) "normal Debian installs" instead of
Debian Live for that reason.

        Stefan