Re: [OFFTOPIC] CoCo and oldies (was : 1149 (was: lonk / was: Meta: behavior on list))

On 2021-08-14 9:16 a.m., Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 14 August 2021 08:44:44 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

>>> Yup.  Back in the 1860s we did UUCP over manual telegraph.  Earlier
>>> yet we used heliograph.  Signal fires on hilltops were slow, but
>>> worked. And, of course, pigeons.
>>
>> Yes! Pigeons!  UUCP over Avian Carrier. Later they shamelessly copied
>> that in rfc1149 [1].
>>
>> (now seriously: my first Usenet feed actually was over UUCP over...
>> a 14.4k modem)
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carrier
>>
>>  - t
> Chuckle, you were a bit late to that party Tomas. When I first accessed
> Delphi, I used a 300 baud modem on a trs-80 color computer running os9.
> That was before Judge Green, and the 16 air miles to the access point
> was still long distance. So my coco ran my LD bill up over $100 some
> months. Nobody had 56k modems yet. I was in hog heaven when I got my
> first 1200 baud modem.

You put me back in the "good old times", long time haven't heard of Delphi.

Did have a phone coupler (the thing that you put the handset over and
would dial manually) for my Commodore SuperPet 900, plus the 1200 bauds
modem of my Commodore 64 (later).

I remember to have had a CoCo but it was running in plain Basic, don't
remember which one I had.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside