Re: [OFFTOPIC] 1149 (was: lonk (wss: Meta: behavior on list))

On Saturday 14 August 2021 08:44:44 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 07:37:00AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> > tomas writes:
> > > But... Usenet was /before/ 'phone, wasn't it?
> >
> > Yup.  Back in the 1860s we did UUCP over manual telegraph.  Earlier
> > yet we used heliograph.  Signal fires on hilltops were slow, but
> > worked. And, of course, pigeons.
>
> Yes! Pigeons!  UUCP over Avian Carrier. Later they shamelessly copied
> that in rfc1149 [1].
>
> (now seriously: my first Usenet feed actually was over UUCP over...
> a 14.4k modem)
>
> Cheers
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carrier
>
>  - t
Chuckle, you were a bit late to that party Tomas. When I first accessed
Delphi, I used a 300 baud modem on a trs-80 color computer running os9.
That was before Judge Green, and the 16 air miles to the access point
was still long distance. So my coco ran my LD bill up over $100 some
months. Nobody had 56k modems yet. I was in hog heaven when I got my
first 1200 baud modem.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis