Re: All-in-One printer: HP OfficeJet 8012

Hi,

On 2021-08-12 6:27 p.m., Brian wrote:
> On Thu 12 Aug 2021 at 15:33:26 -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 2021-08-12 3:22 p.m., Brian wrote:
>>> On Tue 10 Aug 2021 at 18:29:02 -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I was a bit taken aback when you advocated Mopria as a criterion for
>>> determining whether a printer could be operated driverlessly on Debian.
>>> But is it the *best* criterion?
>>>
>>> I've now got my head around it.
>>>
>>> Surely, it is better looking for AirPrint support in the printer specs
>>> to determine the driverless capabilities of printer?
>>>

>> Have you looked what does Mopria is ?
>
> I have examined the aims and objectives of the Mopria Alliance in
> excrutiating detail.
>
>> It require that the printer (and scanner) offer :
>> Printing thru the use of IPP protocol
>
> Correct.
>
>> Possibility to send the data in PDF format directly (or JPG)
>> Auto discovery of the services offered thru "Bonjour".
>
> Please give a link at the Mopria website substantiating your clain that
> a Mopria certified device should be ca[able of accepting PDF as a PDL
> in addition to PWG raster and PCLm.

I forgot some hard to find information from Wikipedia

If you doubt, 1st edit Wikipedia page and after this check the reference
down the page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mopria_Alliance

*IPP*

Windows 10 support for Mopria certified printers
Microsoft implemented an IPP printing solution based on the Mopria
standard in the Windows 10, version 1809 operating system.

*autodiscovery*
Mopria Print Service
The Mopria Print Service for Android was released in the Google Play
store in October 2014. It is a plug-in that enables printing from
Android devices to Mopria certified printers and MFPs.

A client uses mDNS to automatically discover a printer through the local
802.11 wireless network. The printer must be connected to the network
either wirelessly or with an Ethernet cable. Mopria Print Service also
supports printer connection through Wi-Fi Direct.

>> And all of the condition make a printer pretty much driver less.
>>
>> There's no link with you talking about AirPrint.
>
> That avoids any meaningful dialog (and is incorrect).

I've found truckload of information by doing a simple Google search of
*Mopria printer PDF support*, *Mopria printer IP support* what else do
you want ?

Make a effort or stick with the "I can't believe this, a *universal*
alliance of *supported printer* this can't be *true*

Yes and a alliance of supported universal video device (UVC) was
something we wouldn't have believed in 1999.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside