Re: On improving mailing list [was: How to Boot Linux ISO Images Directly From Your Hard Drive Debian]

On 10-08-2021 10:59, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 04:06:43PM -0700, Weaver wrote:
>> On 10-08-2021 07:54, Andy Smith wrote:
>> > I really don't want to get into calling out specific sub-threads
>> > that have been ridiculously off-topic recently, They are not hard to
>> > find; there's just so many of them.
>>
>> That wasn't the point. I pointed out an over dramatisation of the
>> situation is not conducive to the sort of accurate pre-analytical stage
>> required in order to specify a problem in order to deal with it
>> accurately.
>> Your answer to that is to specify `ridiculously off-topic threads'.
>
> I'm saying that the number of off-topics posts here is often well in
> excess of the number of on-topic ones, and that I think it isn't
> conducive to user support.
>
> And by "off-topic" I'm not talking about just replying in a
> conversational tone, or asking for clarifications, or suggesting
> other solutions or anything like that. I mean posts that become
> totally unrelated to Debian and its use.
>
> For the purposes of this conversation I do think these are easy to
> spot. I do understand that you feel these aren't an issue. I'm just
> saying why I don't think there's a need to specifically call these
> out right now.
>
>> Is there to be a rigorous deletion of anything  not Debian related
>> within each email?
>
> I think it would be best if such things were not posted here, yes,
> not while this is the support venue.
>
>> Is there to be no polite, courteous format, simply because it's not
>> `Debian-related'?
>
> I would really have hoped that it would be obvious that I'm not
> asking for people to be impolite or discourteous; that I'm not
> talking about normal conversational responses to support queries
> being banned.
>
> I'm talking about things that have drifted completely away from
> being about Debian.
>
>> Things can get just a little too rigid, on the way to creating a total
>> lack of community that nobody wants to be a part of.
>>
>> > I understand that there's plenty of people who think the current
>> > situation is not a problem, but I think there's also people who do
>> > think there is some issue here. I'm one of them and I'm giving my
>> > opinion in a thread where it was specifically asked for.
>>
>> And who isn't?
>
> Well, this bit was in response to you saying, "if there's a problem
> that requires resolution…" so was just me reiterating that I do
> think there is, but that I do understand that plenty of people don't
> think there is. i.e. this has not just come out of nowhere.
>
>> > Absolutely, but it's discouraged by the format and what gets through
>> > tends to be moderated away so it's less prominent. This results in a
>> > better experience both for the question asker and later researchers
>> > who come across it.
>>
>> No, the rudeness is jumped on by members of the community more than
>> `moderators'.
> [...]

I'm afraid this conversation is a waste of time.
The goal posts are moved around at convenience, rather in than any
serious manner at resolving an issue that is minor, if even existent.
Cheers!

Harry.

--
`Unthinking respect for authority is