Re: On improving mailing list [was: How to Boot Linux ISO Images Directly From Your Hard Drive Debian]

On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 11:09:24AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
If it bears any similarity to classic mailman, then colour me
unimpressed. My pet peeve with that one is that it cuts lists
into month sized slices (which makes kind of sense when you
want a month view, but puts you in an awkward place when you're
reading a thread which crosses one (or several!) month boundaries).

I'm fairly sure it will resemble mailman (<=2) in this respect yes.
But that's also how the Debian mailing list archives are organised.
You and I are free to organise our own private list archives how we
see fit.

Imagine just that "+1" thingie: how do those who participate via
mail get to "see" that? Doesn't that lead to both groups's "views
of the world" slowly diverging?

I *think*, that the +1/-1 stuff is not visible via mail at all. So
you're right: there'd be a divergent "view of the world". Some might
say, that those who prefer mail interfaces would be happy not to
see that +1/-1 stuff at all. But that might not apply to any other
divergences.

As opposed to a web application, where one visual appearance
is forced onto^H^H^H [2] offered to all participants; the
separation is not so clear.

The idea would be that those who prefer to interact with mail continue
to do so.

--
Please do not CC me for listmail.

👱🏻	Jonathan Dowland