Re: 32b upgrade to 64 b; Boot.plist

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 06:53:18AM +0200, Gunnar Gervin wrote:
> Hi beautiful ideals!
> Decided to install Virtual Machine & Docker in this 14 year old ex-Macbook.
> In which I installed Debian "Buster" i386 32 bits. As some of you know, I
> did some failures during installation, the dvd player "hung" a bit several
> times, so I saw it installing at least 3 times. I made a puzzling
> observation: 64 came up a lot of times, but the machine seemed to handle
> it. ("Is it 64 bits anyway?" I wondered.)
> Now I found the following information in Wikipedia:
> " Mac OS X 10.6 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Snow_Leopard> is
> the first version of macOS <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS> that
> supports a 64-bit kernel <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(computing)>.
> "
> n Snow Leopard, most built-in applications have been rebuilt to use the
> 64-bit x86-64 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64> architecture
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instruction_set_architecture> (excluding
> iTunes <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes>, Front Row
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_Row_(software)>, Grapher
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapher> and DVD Player
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Player_(software)> applications).[43]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Snow_Leopard#cite_note-43> They
> will run in 32-bit <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32-bit> mode on machines
> with 32-bit processors, and in 64-bit mode on machines with 64-bit
> processors.
> A change to the com.apple.Boot.plist will also enable users with compatible
> computers to permanently boot into 64-bit for those wishing to do so.
> After upgrading the kernel from 32b to 64b, if advisable & possible.
> How to do that? Clean reinstall I guess optional, but will that suffice?
> Geg

Straightforwardly:

Which _model_ Macbook is it? [About this Mac under MacOS]

If you run hwinfo under Debian- what does it say?

If you run cpuinfo under Debian - what does it say

For Macs of this vintage: (2006/2007 Core 2 Duo)

    iMac 5,1 – iMac 5,2 – iMac 6,1
    Macbook 2,1
    MacBook Pro 2,1 – MacBook Pro 2,2
    Mac Pro 1,1
    Xserve 1,1 (maybe)

They have a 32 bit EFI and a 64 bit processor.

You might want to try with the Debian multi-arch CD which might sort it out.

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/multi-arch/iso-cd/debian-10.10.0-amd64-i386-netinst.iso

or, in exceptional cases for only a couple of models:

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/debian-mac-10.10.0-amd64-netinst.iso

If you only have a small amount of memory, you may want to consider that
running virtual machines / Docker may be quite frustrating.

Hope this helps

All the very best as ever,

Andy Cater