Re: Problem with crash post-install [ was: Update or reinstall ]

Hi,

On 2021-07-29 6:29 a.m., Marco Möller wrote:

> On 29.07.21 10:25, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
>> Hi,
>> (...)
>> Gunnar  ( Gunnar Gervin <dofeelok@gmail.com> ) is having problem with
>> his laptop.
>> The system crashes post-update.
>>
>> He need to do clean install every time.
>> And this is probably time consuming for him.
>>
>> If other user has some hints...
>
> Without having all the mail thread available and not being able to see
> what suggestions and tests have already been done, my first idea and
> suggestion would be to care to three times run a "sudo sync" (1) before
> and (2) after the update and (3) before the system shutdown, in order to
> exclude that data wasn't fully written to disk at possible critical
> moments. If this would help, then investigations could accordingly
> continue to concentrate on related configurations.
> Good Luck! Marco.

There's no other mail thread related to this...
Only the original user (Gunnar) who said to me that I shall do clean
install on updates because his system crashes if he tries to updates.

So I told him that this was painstaking and time consuming, that backups
are indeed a good thing but that you shouldn't need to reinstall every
time you update.

So I've suggested him that he post the system configuration onto the
mailing system so we may help him out (fellow user on the list).

Now considering the way he described his computer installation, I
believe it may be much more complex to solve whatever problem it is than
trying to go take a trip to the planet Mars, no, wait, Jupiter would be
closer to the efforts needed.

In his description he mentions waiting for a better Internet connection
so his virtual machine will run faster or something alike that I don't
quite understand.

So maybe he's running under a VM.
Also, said to be running a Macbook with a BIOS and that is totally
strange to myself...

So the best thing to do (I believe) would be...

I'd start by asking him to use hwinfo... and send a dump.

Steps :
Install package hwinfo
Run hwinfo --all --log laptop.log
Copy the content of laptop.log into your message.
You can use gedit or geany to open the file.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside

cc: Gunnar Gervin