Re: Receipt [ was : needrestart - how to supress ncurses gui]

On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 17:30:57 -0400
Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

> Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> >
> > "Suspenders" in UK are used with old fashioned silk stockings and a
> > garter belt or similar: small clips to hook the stockings to. The
> > sort of thing you might see in a burlesque show, maybe, or for a
> > fancy dress party.
>
> And there's another one:
>
> UK fancy dress party sounds, in the US, like "formal evening
> attire" but  means "costume party" or "masquerade".

H. L. Mencken's The American Language has an entire chapter devoted to
differences between American English and British English. Or, in
Mencken's terminology, American and English. I think he repeated the
old saw about how Americans and British are divided by a common
language, but can't find it right now.

"Subway" v. "underground" comes to mind.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/