Re: [OT] Why I don't like github [was: Please help to test latest Debian 11 release candidate on real] hardware

Hi,

On 2021-07-25 3:36 p.m., tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> Of course, github succeeded in one thing: they managed to centralise
> git, which is inherently decentral. Many people these days see github
> as a synonym to git and can't bother to use git without github's
> shiny web interface.

They managed to create two things :
A central point of failure in the workflow (Github)
A user base willing to pay the day it will become pay-only.
> This was, even before the acquisition, enough reason for me to keep
> as much distance as possible between github and myself.
>
> But still, 7.5B?
>
> Now, with github copilot [2], things start making sense: github users
> get support from an AI (GPT-3) for which Microsoft has an exclusive
> license (only the service is available for mere mortals).
>
> They now have a strategic position on how code is written "out there",
> at least, they hope to have it.

In the next ten years, people will be coding less and less as we do it.
We'll drive some AI process for coding.
And when it comes to AI, algorithm may have some important role but
what's worth the most is the dataset for training.
And this is nearly all in the private sector now (owned by big corporation).

If you speak French, I'd suggest this video.

Ethics of AI and risk to humanity.
Without Facebook dataset, I doubt Cambridge Analytica would have been
able to do something. And as AI become more powerful, it will be easier
and easier to outsmart the least smart ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3WOPKNvbt8

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside