Re: Receipt [ was : needrestart - how to supress ncurses gui]

On Sun 25 Jul 2021 at 16:41:20 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 04:13:40PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > On Sun 25 Jul 2021 at 09:39:36 -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Why bother people with requesting a receipt when we read you message ?
> > >
> > > There's thousands of person on this list. You really need / want a
> > > receipt from all of us ?
> >
> > Belt and braces? We see you believe in it. :)
> >
> >   > To: Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de>
> >
> > --
> > Brian.
> >

> Although the usual stated policy for this list is _NOT_ to reply direct

Is there an "unususal" stated policy? :)

> to individuals but normally only to the list, it is also possible, if
> you don't know whether an individual is subscribed, that it might be a
> good way of getting a message to them.

The headers of your mail have

  LDOSUBSCRIBER

in them. We now *know* you are subscribed to the list. A Cc: wouldn't
get me anything extra.

If that word isn't there, we have no idea whether a user is subscribed
or not. But she could be. So I would either assume she is or that she
has some way of seeing list mail. No Cc: necessary on this list.

> In that, at least, this list is unusual: we do expect a certain number of
> people who will write a question to the list but may not realise that it is
> also beneficial to subscribe.

Benefiial to them surely means seeing responses? That is up to them. I
think all Debain mailing lists allow posting without being subscribed.
That rather puts the ball in the poster's half of the court.

BTW, my response was because I thought it ironic that Hans was pulled
up regarding receipts. For myself - anyone may Cc: me.

--
Brian.