Re: Debmirror

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 09:37:14AM -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2021-07-25 3:42 a.m., Gunnar Gervin wrote:
> > Polyna.
> > I always have heard it's better to put all documents, files, photos etc
> > in a usb or external harddisk. And do a clean reinstall of the updated
> > distro.
> Can you explain a bit further... ?
>
> If I follow what I read in your message...
> You are telling me that :
> It is recommended to backup user's personal data
> Do a clean reinstall
> When Debian publishes update ?
>
> What type of update ?
> Point release ?
> Release ?

Point releases should just "upgrade". After all, they're mostly collections
of bugfixes - at that point, if you've been updating regularly, there's very
little difference.

When it comes to doing a major release upgrade: 10-11, say, it's always
not a _bad_ idea to back up documents files and so on, just in case
something goes wrong, but it's not vital by any means.

If you are repartitioning disks / changing boot method from Legacy -> UEFI
than it might be a good idea to save off all data and re-install from scratch
depending on how much you're doing - but there's no absolute requiremnt.

There have been a couple of transitions that had the potential to break
stuff - the original ELF transition, way back, sysvinit -> systemd - but
otherwise you could take a Debian 4.0 say and update it to Debian 10
by using standard systm tools.

> This look pretty heavy to me...and sounds much more like something that
> is done on the Windows world.

Absolutely. I don't think it is true of Debian. It is, however, the
recommended way of dealing with Red Hat/CentOS/Almalinux/Rocky Linux
at major version change. [There is a Red Hat Enterprise Linux script
that _may_ do this - but folks have had signifncant problems if there
are any third party packages installed - sometimes to the extent of
including EPEL packages.]

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater