Re: Debmirror

Hi,

On 2021-07-25 3:42 a.m., Gunnar Gervin wrote:
> Polyna.
> I always have heard it's better to put all documents, files, photos etc
> in a usb or external harddisk. And do a clean reinstall of the updated
> distro.
Can you explain a bit further... ?

If I follow what I read in your message...
You are telling me that :
It is recommended to backup user's personal data
Do a clean reinstall
When Debian publishes update ?

What type of update ?
Point release ?
Release ?

This look pretty heavy to me...and sounds much more like something that
is done on the Windows world.

Why would it be needed to do a clean reinstall ?
If you work properly and don't litter around then everything in your
system is registered as file in the package manager and the
configuration are preserved thru configuration file litigation (ask you
what to do when a config file has been changed from default).

Would you have the reference regarding this ?

Are talking about clean the apt cache before doing upgrade ?

Explain more because this smell like non-sense to me.
> BR,
> geg
>
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2021, 04:41 Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside,
> <debian@polynamaude.com <mailto:debian@polynamaude.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     On 2021-07-24 9:33 p.m., David Wright wrote:
>     > On Sat 24 Jul 2021 at 19:52:36 (-0400), Polyna-Maude
>     Racicot-Summerside wrote:
>     >> Here are the message I get after my debmirror when I do apt-get
>     update
>     >>
>     >> Err:31 file:/mnt/mirror/debian buster-updates/main amd64 Contents
>     (deb)
>     >>   File not found -
>     >> /mnt/mirror/debian/dists/buster-updates/main/Contents-amd64 (2:
>     No such
>     >> file or directory)
>     >> Reading package lists... Done
>     >> E: Failed to fetch
>     >> file:/mnt/mirror/debian/dists/buster/main/Contents-amd64  File
>     not found
>     >> - /mnt/mirror/debian/dists/buster/main/Contents-amd64 (2: No such
>     file
>     >> or directory)
>     >> E: Failed to fetch
>     >> file:/mnt/mirror/debian/dists/buster-updates/main/Contents-amd64
>     File
>     >> not found -
>     /mnt/mirror/debian/dists/buster-updates/main/Contents-amd64
>     >> (2: No such file or directory)
>     >>
>     >> The command I used for creating the mirror is
>     >>
>     >> debmirror --all --progress --verbose --method=http
>     >> --dist=buster,buster-updates,buster-backports
>     >> --section=main,contrib,non-free --arch=amd64,i386 --rsync-extra=none
>     >> --source --i18n --keyring
>     /usr/share/keyrings/debian-archive-keyring.gpg
>     >> --root=debian --host=debian.mirror.iweb.ca
>     <http://debian.mirror.iweb.ca> /mnt/mirror/debian
>     >>
>     >> Got idea ?
>     >
>     > --getcontents ?
>     >
>     Giving this one a try....

I'm not sure you have close to a clue what my problem is.
Because when I simply change my repository to the usual Debian one, I
can do my apt cache update properly.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside