Re: Wireguard and my Buster kernel

	Hi.

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 03:46:48AM -0400, Bob Bernstein wrote:
> /var/log/kern.log contains these lines:
>
> Jul 19 09:15:38 debian kernel: [69157.444725] wireguard: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel

It's an out-of-tree module, so this is expected.
Moreover, it tells you that it's a self-built unsigned module, which is
expected if you happen to use dkms.

> Principal symptom: pervasive slowdown of all connections to remote
> hosts, notice first with my smtp smart host.

It has nothing to do with the kernel module status.
I'd blame your ISP first, and the code quality of kernel module second.

I.e. if you're seeing large amounts of CPU eaten by the kernel - the
kernel module is likely the problem (although it needs to be verified by
perf top). If not - you'll just waste your time upgrading to next
version of wireguard.

Reco