Re: merged /usr considered harmful (was Re: Bits from the Technical Committee)

	Hi.

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 07:16:30PM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > > Will the merge-usr cause myself problem ?
>
> You would end up with an empty partition, and possibly an overflowed
> root partition, if you made the root partition too small to hold all
> of the content from /usr.

It other way around actually.

While called usrmerge, the package actually moves /bin, /sbin and /lib*
to /usr.
So it's the overflow of /usr the OP should worry about, not /.

Moreover, the separate /usr is considered by the upstream an important
feature - [1], as it allows the local administrator to have read-write /
and read-only /usr, and possibly - shared /usr along the several hosts
(involves NFS or equivalent, and dracut).
Thus this feature is unlikely to go away in the nearest future, at
least.

The only problem with usrmerge I've encountered so far is broken "dpkg
-S". For instance, "dpkg -S /usr/bin/bash" fails, because "bash" package
provides "bash" as "/bin/bash". And of course, "which bash" shows me
"/usr/bin/bash".

[1] https://access.redhat.com/solutions/2146081

Reco