Re: merged /usr considered harmful (was Re: Bits from the Technical Committee)

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 11:31:07PM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> Hi, is it OK to forward your mail to debian-devel. I don't think
> mailing to debian-user will have any effect on this issue?

What issue?

> On Sun, 2021-07-18 at 16:31 -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside
> wrote:
> > I currently have a different partition for my /usr and this has been
> > the
> > case since the end of 1990s when I started on Linux. Maybe I'm wrong
> > but
> > I like it this way.

This is supported up to and including Debian 11, according to the
wiki.

> > Will the merge-usr cause myself problem ?

You would end up with an empty partition, and possibly an overflowed
root partition, if you made the root partition too small to hold all
of the content from /usr.

Without knowing the sizes and fullnesses of your partitions, we can't
guess whether you will have a problem.

But in any case, it doesn't sound like installing usrmerge would be a
good idea for you on this system.  It certainly offers you no benefits.