Re: [OT] Selling beer (was: Re: Working for free [was: Offensive variable names])

On Thu Jul 15 12:42:45 2021 Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mi, 14 iul 21, 08:02:19, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
>
>> On Tue Jul 13 16:50:38 2021 Michael Lange <klappnase@freenet.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 21:25:17 +0100
>>> Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> (...)

>>> here (Germany) we still have those TV ads for beer, and I can assure
>>> you that the advertised brands (its not up to me to decide whether
>>> they are rubbish or not) are the ones that are available virtually
>>> everywhere, so I believe that it is safe to assume that they are
>>> also the brands that sell.
>>> So yes, unfortunately at least in some cases advertisements
>>> apparently pay.
>>
>> If they didn't pay, companies would have stopped sinking vast amounts
>> of effort and expense into them a century ago.
>
> You're giving (big) companies a lot of credit, possibly unwarranted:
>
> Does Advertising Actually Work? (Part 1: TV) (Ep. 440)
> https://freakonomics.com/podcast/advertising-part-1/
>
> Does Advertising Actually Work? (Part 2: Digital) (Ep. 441)
> https://freakonomics.com/podcast/advertising-part-2/
>
> (the links contain the transcripts as well, for those who prefer
> reading)

Thanks for the links (extra points for them being available as text).
Money might reign supreme, but there's nothing like a good management
fantasy to push profits into second place.

I particularly like the part where the interviewee tried to pretend
he couldn't hear the interviewer when he got backed into a corner.

--
/~\  Charlie Gibbs                  |  Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ /  <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid>      |  Apple is a cult.