Re: Working for free [was: Offensive variable names]

On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 19:17:37 -0400
Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 21:09:32 +0200
> Alexandre Garreau <galex-713@galex-713.eu> wrote:
>

> > No, they’re not submitted to network effect, Debian is not a social
> > network.  Moreover, Debian is non-lucrative.  Currently nobody can
> > get *power* from it.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by non-lucrative, but even though
> there's no money involved, that does not mean that there's no power.
> The power to decide what software to include in the distribution and
> what to exclude is certainly power. Debian has an elaborate
> constitution, with all kinds of rules, and the organization has
> considerable power over the distribution. This is similar, in my mind,
> to the power that an organization like Facebook has over its network.

I think in this context that 'power' means power over the real world,
not just within a medium. It is unlikely that Debian can swing an
election result. Debian has rules, but not over what people are
permitted to discuss.

--
Joe