Re: Working for free [was: Offensive variable names]

Le mardi 13 juillet 2021, 16:09:50 CEST Celejar a écrit :
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 16:08:53 +0300
>
> Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > What do you mean by calling them non-gratis services? I know that
> > > some
> > > of their services are non-gratis, but basic code hosting certainly
> > > is
> > > gratis.
> >
> > You do not pay for these services, yet they provide them to you and
> > everyone else (with certain exclusions).
> > Guess who is the product here? The answer is - you are the product.
> > Payment involving money is not the only kind of payment that you can
> > make today.
>
> I think that's an unreasonable definition of gratis and non-gratis. If
> a FLOSS dev gets an ego boost, or even some sort of spiritual
> satisfaction, from people using his software, does that mean it's
> non-gratis?

An ego-boost doesn’t grant power, that is, possibility of action of your
will on the actions of others.

But github as a platform provides a great deal of power to microsoft.
They litterally own your data.  Maybe not your programs, but maybe all
your metadata + what was listed later (bugreports, etc.).

The mail you answer to sadly didn’t explain concretely what is the
payement, and how you can make money from it.  The answer is: selling
personal data.  Both what you output, what comes from you, and what is
inputted to you, what to see.  Knowing what you say, what you see, what
you like to see, and deciding it sells very profitably nowadays, agueably
more than oil.