Re: linux-image-3.16.0-10-amd64 missing on security.debian.org

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 10:34:24AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> Some Debian releases can run two completely different kernel versions,
> like buster with 4.19 and 5.10. IIRC jessie could run 4.9 kernels from
> backports.

The possible range of kernels is quite large.  You can actually run a
kernel *much* older or newer than the one which comes with your Debian
release.

Buster (Debian 10) ships with a 4.19 kernel, but you can run it with a
3.2 kernel.  Debian 9 can run with a kernel even older than that; my VPS
for example is on a 2.6 kernel, and I've got it up to Debian 9, which is
as far as I can go on that kernel.

https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#glibc-and-linux