Re: Vulkan with Radeon RX 5700 XT

On 2021-07-12 at 03:49, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Du, 11 iul 21, 14:25:31, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> The issue turns out to have been that /dev/dri/renderD128 is owned
>> by group render, and my user was not a member of that group. I
>> don't know of anything which should have told me that it needed to
>> be.
>
> As far as I understand, this should be taken care of automatically
> via systemd-logind. Might need some Desktop Environment integration
> as well.

I don't run systemd, in part specifically because I don't like
systemd-logind. (IMO, logging in should not automatically launch a
daemon.)

I have, somewhat reluctantly, accepted running elogind instead; I think
that's supposed to be functionality-identical to systemd-logind, just
standalone rather than integrated with the rest of the interconnected
tangle of systemd elements. In this case, it doesn't seem to have
adjusted group membership or device ownership or similar; I'm not sure
whether that's a bug in elogind, or a consequence of the fact that it
doesn't tie in with e.g. udev, or just a misconfiguration on my end.

That said, AFAIR it was never necessary to have a daemon like that in
order for my user to wind up being a member of group video (and having
access to the GPU via GLX), so for such a daemon to be necessary in
order for my user to be a member of group render (and have access to the
GPU via Vulkan) seems like an undesirable and unfortunate step backwards...

--
   The Wanderer