Re: Vulkan with Radeon RX 5700 XT

On 2021-07-11 at 13:20, The Wanderer wrote:

> On 2021-07-10 at 17:36, idiotein30@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Le 10/07/2021 à 17:41, The Wanderer a écrit :

>>> That's excellent news; it means that, at least in principle, this
>>> can work in (relatively-)clean Debian as currently constituted.
>>> (It also confirms that RADV is the relevant thing here; my
>>> reading wasn't conclusive as to whether or not that was
>>> specifically something for older card models.)
>>>
>>> Can you indicate exactly which Vulkan-related packages you're
>>> running from experimental? For that matter, a list of
>>> Vulkan-related packages and package versions from unstable too
>>> would probably be appropriate, since I track testing and am
>>> *highly* hesitant to upgrade against sid wholesale.
>>
>> There you go, some packages are at the same version in Testing and
>>  Unstable, so you will see them in both.
>>
>> "aptitude search '?narrow(?installed,?archive(experimental))' |
>> egrep '(mesa|vulkan)'

<snip>

> I now have all of these (except the dummy packages, which I skipped
> as irrelevant) installed from experimental. All the ones you listed
> from unstable seem to be at the same version in testing, and have no
> available version in experimental, so there's nothing to upgrade
> there.
>
> I've also gone so far as to upgrade my kernel to the one in
> experimental (it was only a Debian-packaging version upgrade:
> 5.10.0-7 to 5.10.0-8).
>
> The results, so far, are exactly the same as before: vulkaninfo
> reports only one "device", llvmpipe / lavapipe.

> I've at least managed to confirm even more strongly than before that
> amdgpu does seem to be in use; not only is it referenced as loaded
> in dmesg, it appears prominently in /var/log/Xorg.0.log (where
> several other video drivers are tried, including radeon, and all the
> others seem to get unloaded while AMDGPU references continue to
> appear afterwards).
>
> Yet for some reason, Vulkan is still failing to detect the presence
> of any physical GPU.

> I think at this point I probably need to report an issue with Mesa
> upstream, and see if they can at least advise me on how to
> troubleshoot it further. Hopefully the fact that I'm now mixing
> package versions between Mesa 20.x (a few -dev packages, at least,
> are still on that) and 21.x (the ones listed above) won't be an
> issue...

Mere minutes after filing a bug report with the Mesa tracker, I thought
of something new (of course), and checked it.

Sure enough: if I run vulkaninfo as root, it detects the GPU just fine.

The issue turns out to have been that /dev/dri/renderD128 is owned by
group render, and my user was not a member of that group. I don't know
of anything which should have told me that it needed to be.

I've added myself to that group, shut down to the (console) login
prompt, and brought things back up, and now vulkaninfo detects the GPU
as my ordinary user as well.

There was no need for me to have pulled in packages from sid and
experimental, but it doesn't seem to have done any harm in this
instance, especially as testing is due to be released as stable (which
should free up packages to migrate from sid to testing, and let packages
in experimental which have non-release-safe changes safely enter sid) in
the fairly near future.

--
   The Wanderer