Re: Vulkan with Radeon RX 5700 XT

Le 09/07/2021 à 23:44, The Wanderer a écrit :
(Warning, this is fairly long, and the situation involved includes a
fair number of potentially-moving pieces.)

I've recently built a new computer, installed Debian, configured it to
largely match my previous setup, and migrated my data across.

Now, I'm trying to take advantage of one of the hardware improvements
over the system I migrated away from: a newer, better-performing GPU. In
particular, I want to run software which makes use of the Vulkan API for
improved graphics performance.

Hi, Debian unstable with bits of experimental here (because of the freeze I pull some newer packages from experimental). Same graphic card (5700XT), mesa drivers (21.1.4 at this precise moment, from experimental). Here vulkan works afaik.

vulkaninfo reports my card as:
"Group 1:
     Properties:
       physicalDevices: count = 1
       AMD RADV NAVI10 (ACO) (ID: 0)
       subsetAllocation = 0
     Present Capabilities:
       AMD RADV NAVI10 (ACO) (ID: 0):
       Can present images from the following devices: count = 1
       AMD RADV NAVI10 (ACO) (ID: 0)
"

If you want a G.U.I. vulkan test app you can use "goverlay", if you want vulkan related info displayed in another game/programm you can try "mangohud".

For wine you probably want to install i386 (32bits) vulkan libraries too alongside the amd64 ones.

Here my sons (with the same setup, radeon 5700XT and Vega56 cards) use the Steam "Proton" implementation of wine happily, vulkan games run fine. Linux native games run in vulkan mode too.

I have given up on trying to get anything to run with plain wine years ago, so can't help with this, but Steam "Proton" version or "GloriousEggroll" (yes it's a real thing) run almost any Windows games my kids throw at it, in vulkan mode when available, sometime much better than native Linux versions (sadly).

If I can help narrow down what package or version is causing you trouble, I'll do.

All the best.