Re: How do I get back the GRUB menu with the blue background?

Hello David

I didn't expect a rather lengthy reply from you.

> Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2021 at 9:29 AM
> From: "David" <bouncingcats@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: How do I get back the GRUB menu with the blue background?
>

> grub> echo "$prefix"

The reply is (hd0,gpt1)/boot/grub

> 6) Perhaps something else is broken, but attempting
> to boot from the grub> prompt will help to diagnose that.
> That is certain, and straightforward. I have given you
> the steps to try, but you have not yet reported trying it.

Frankly, I don't know the exact commands to type to boot from the grub> prompt.

> 7) Inside grub, the 'prefix' variable defines where
> grub finds its own code. That appears to be correct,
> otherwise you would see grub_rescue> prompt.

What command can I type at the grub> prompt to look inside grub so as to see the "prefix" variable?

> 9) I suppose you can use a rescue environment and
> chroot to boot your system, but it seems unnecessary
> unless you can't boot any other way. But if you have a
> broken initrd, you will need to do this.

How can I tell if I've a broken initrd?

> 10) Once booted, you will need to 'grub-install' to fix
> the problem of grub.cfg not being found. Because grub
> currently can't find any grub.cfg, you need to make sure
> that the new one is installed to the correct location, which
> needs to be outside your encrypted partition.

Thanks for the mini-tutorial.

> I would not
> be surprised if the /boot in your new installation is not the
> same as your boot partition, you should check that.
> Check your mountpoints. Does 'lsblk -f' show the boot
> partition is mounted at /boot?

After typing lsblk -f at the grub> prompt, the error message was can't find command 'lsblk'

> Run 'grub-install -v <your_device>'
> and look for output like:
>   grub-install: info: setting the root device to <some_device>

After typing grub-install -v (hd0,gpt2), the error message was can't find command 'grub-install'

> Make sure <some_device> is your unencrypted boot partition.
> If it isn't, run 'grub-install' again with the '--boot-directory' option
> pointing to your boot partition.
> Read 'man grub-install' for documentation of its options.

(hd0,gpt2) is my un-encrypted boot partition

> a) Can you boot from grub> prompt?

No

> b) At grub>, can you check the value of $root to discover
> where it is looking for grub.cfg? grub> echo "$root"

hd0,gpt1

> c) At grub>, can you find grub.cfg anywhere by the
> tab-completion method I described in a prior message?
> Where?

At the grub> prompt, I typed gr and pressed the TAB key. There was no output or suggestions.

> d) After booting somehow, if you run 'grub-install -v', what
> root device does it use to to save the files that it updates,
> as explained above?

I'm unable to boot (frankly what commands to type to boot at the grub> prompt ?)

> e) If you reboot after running 'grub-install', does it work?

Unable to answer your question (e) because of (d)

> f) Is the value of '$root' above the same location that
> 'grub-install' writes to by default? If not, use its
> '--boot-directory' option.

Unable to answer your question (f) because of (d)