Re: How do I get back the GRUB menu with the blue background?

Hi

> Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2021 at 12:01 PM
> From: "David" <bouncingcats@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: How do I get back the GRUB menu with the blue background?
>

> As I mentioned, I do not know GPT and UEFI systems.

It's off-topic; I am curious why you do not use GPT/UEFI/Secure Boot? Secure Boot has been supported since Debian Buster.

> However, I would expect that after you have successfully
> discovered where grub finds the grub file directory, and the
> kernel file and the initrd image, then it should be possible to
> execute a manual sequence of commands at the grub prompt like:
>
> grub> insmod part_gpt
> grub> insmod ext2
> grub> linux ... root= ...
> grub> initrd ...
> grub> boot
>
> That should boot into your installation. After that you will need to
> run 'grub-install', see below.
>
> If the insmod commands fail, that can mean the value of
> 'prefix' is incorrect. If you specify the full path that grub uses
> to refer to each file, then it isn't necessary to specify 'root'
> variable.

What did you mean by "prefix"? Would you like to elaborate?

> Doing that, grub should attempt to boot the specified files, perhaps
> giving further error messages as a clue to what might be
> wrong. Did you try this method?

No, I didn't.

> Yes I am aware of that method which can succeed. However
> I think you need to also run 'grub-install' in that situation to fix your
> problem, because 'update-grub' merely regenerates a grub.cfg file
> somewhere.

Thanks for your tip. I shall try it.

> You should check that target device and boot directory used
> by 'grub-install' are correct.

How do I go about doing it?

> Perhaps use -v and --boot-directory
> options to make sure that 'grub-install'
> does not reference anything inside your encrypted partition.

I don't know how to use the -v and --boot-directory options. Would you like to show me please?

> Without seeing the commands, I don't know what this refers to
> or why you would hold this view.

Sorry for the confusion. I looked up some Youtube video clips to see if they could provide me some tips on how to fix my issue.