Re: Mail Reader (updated)

Hi,

On 2021-07-07 11:41 p.m., Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
> Hi guys (and possibly girls),
>
> I am currently using Thunderbird as a mail reader.
> It did a good job until now.
> I am also using the PGP plugin.
>
> But I am feeling the limits, it also gets somewhat pretty slow (even
> with a powerful enough computer) if I need for example delete 100
> messages on my mailing list inbox.
>
> I was planning at first to create different folder and copy messages to
> each of them, so I have a local archive of my conversation on the Debian
> mailing list.
>
> But I've changed my mind as Thunderbird is somewhat slow.
>
> What would any of you suggest as a mail reading software ?
> I could use claws-mail
> I could use other mail client
> I could also install a web based mail client on another server and
> possibly create some local folders (don't know if this is possible).
> I get my mail for a IMAP server and use SMTP for sending, so this is
> pretty much a standard installation.

I'd like the following :
1. It can be TUI or GUI but if it's TUI then I'll need both.
2. It need to support PGP.
3. It would be nice to have some scripting possibility or exhaustive
sorting.
4. Would be nice to have a good control over my SPAM rules, that I'd
control it's interaction with SpamAssassin or the other tools available.
5. Would need to have it speedy.
6. Need to be possible to easily backup and restore my email without
syncing with the server. That is, I could make a backup and restore with
rsync or something similar.
7. If there's no calendar option (as a good software only does one
thing) then I'd like some suggestion regarding what type of calendar
software has a Google Calendar connector.
8. Could also be a solution that I build with Roundcubemail another
server that I have free at home. I was thinking about the data center
one but I step back because it will have some delay and won't be
available offline.
9. Got mutt as suggestion, is this the most exhaustive (or configurable
thru different outside tools and software) TUI based mail client ?

10. My email account on my IMAP server are not related to the local user
account on the computer I use in any way. So a software used for sending
mail as "unix mail" is not the case. But maybe I could learn how to make
such setup and this would be good learning !

Outside question...
Is it possible to use a MTA on my computer that will follow the mail to
my shared hosting IMAP server ? Probably ?

> As I have a unused server in a data center, I wouldn't mind to use it as
> a remote mail client. But this is a 2nd choice, I would rather have a
> local copy of my messages. This way I can easily do some search, even if
> I'm having problem with Internet or copy it onto my laptop, having
> access where I don't have access to 3G/4G internet.
>
> Thanks for all the opinions you may give.

Thanks for all the nice user who help out.
--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside