Re: Mail Reader

On Wed, Jul 07, 2021 at 11:41:25PM -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
> Hi guys (and possibly girls),
>
> I am currently using Thunderbird as a mail reader.
> It did a good job until now.
> I am also using the PGP plugin.
>
> But I am feeling the limits, it also gets somewhat pretty slow (even
> with a powerful enough computer) if I need for example delete 100
> messages on my mailing list inbox.
>
> I was planning at first to create different folder and copy messages to
> each of them, so I have a local archive of my conversation on the Debian
> mailing list.
>
> But I've changed my mind as Thunderbird is somewhat slow.
>
> What would any of you suggest as a mail reading software ?
> I could use claws-mail
> I could use other mail client
> I could also install a web based mail client on another server and
> possibly create some local folders (don't know if this is possible).
> I get my mail for a IMAP server and use SMTP for sending, so this is
> pretty much a standard installation.
>
> As I have a unused server in a data center, I wouldn't mind to use it as
> a remote mail client. But this is a 2nd choice, I would rather have a
> local copy of my messages. This way I can easily do some search, even if
> I'm having problem with Internet or copy it onto my laptop, having
> access where I don't have access to 3G/4G internet.
>
> Thanks for all the opinions you may give.
>

> --
> Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside
> -Be smart, Be wise, Support opensource development

Mutt is incredibly versatile and is a really good reader for non-HTML email.

mbsync seems to work for me (after some tweaking) to pull down mail quickly
and accurately to the local machine.

I did cheat in that I have someone else who has a working email server and
Debian colleagues who were willing to share some setup.

As ever - it depends on whether the feature set is right for _you_ :)

All the best,

Andy Cater