Re: Suggested way to ssh into obsolete devices (with old ssh crypto)?

>> It's entirely too common for obsolete encryption options that are
>> kept for "compatibility" end up being a vector for compromise, and
>> entirely reasonable to remove such options in order to provide the
>> most secure and maintainable tool for the vast majority of users.
> That's the attitude of authoritarian software: "my software is smarter
> than you".

I think the reality is a bit more subtle ;-)

In most cases, the real driver is a desire to keep the code simple and
to ease maintenance.  Removal of old, little used, and largely untested
functionality is part of what can be done for that.

>> If you want ancient crypto options, just run an ancient binary.
>> They're very easy to find in archive.debian.org.
> They're not as easy to run as soon as they start being outrun by
> their dependencie's versions, and you perfectly know that.

My experience running old Debian packages of Emacs under Debian testing
is not that bad.  Also, I think that if it's hard to do, it can be
blamed on Debian's package management (which should move towards
something more like NixOS to solve those problems).

        Stefan