Re: Debian Linux keyboard mapping files ...

 David Chartash at the corpora research mailing list pointed out to me
I could find what I wanted at:

 http://kbdlayout.info/

 and within Debian using `man 5 keyboard`

> There's no such table: it cannot exist. Which unicode number would you
> assign to CapsLock, or RightShift. There are several layers of
> translation which lie between pressing/releasing a key and assigning
> a character to the result. Some of these tables are built up out of
> component parts, like the basic letter keys, the "shift"s at their
> edges, function keys, keypads, multimedia, etc.

> For a start, mapping key depressions to unicode text is a many-to-one
> mapping.

 Well, when I said "look up table" I meant also such sequences of
chars including escape sequences which end up being written as a
character in text files. Non-alphabetical languages use input methods.

> ¹ AltGr o yields ø, fair enough,
>  but
>   CapsLock /o yields ø
>   CapsLock 'o yields ó
>   CapsLock `o yields ò
>   CapsLock ^o yields ô
>   CapsLock ~o yields õ
>   CapsLock -o yields ō
>   CapsLock "o yields ö
>   CapsLock !o yields ọ
>   CapsLock .o yields ȯ
>   CapsLock #o yields º
>   CapsLock oo yields °
>  and there's really no limit, so long as I can recall them:
>   CapsLock co yields ©
>   CapsLock ro yields ®
>   CapsLock so yields §
>   CapsLock %o yields ‰
>  and you don't need an AltGr key, and you can configure it
>  to seamlessly work on both VC and in X.

 From your examples you included I will only need yielded glyphs if
they are commonly used in a language. Now, defining "commonly used"
would be an entirely different, yet valid question.

 I will have to code my way through those files to parse unicode <->
key (or key sequence) "lookup tables" for each language and my effort
will need definitely more than "parsing" for non-alphabetical
languages.

 thank you,
 lbrtchx