Re: Buster on Win 10 Problems

Hi,

On 2021-06-30 4:32 a.m., Curt wrote:
> On 2021-06-29, Stephen P. Molnar <s.molnar@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> The Application Manager Logout function will only allow Logout; Restart and
>> Shutdown are grayed out.

>> On the System level, clicking on the Synaptic Package Manager entry in the
>> pulldown manual  does not open the app; sudo synaptic in the Xfce Terminal
>> opens the app and it is fully functional.
Have you tried looking thru the application logs or starting the desktop
session with "startx" console. This way you'll get some text that may
give a hint on why doesn't synaptic start.

To access a console you simply type "ALT+Fx". Possibly that the 2nd one
is already used so doing Alt+F4 shall do it.
After simply log on with username and password.
Type "startx" in the shell.
You'll see a bunch of text and a graphic screen start.
Do ALT+F4
Look at the last line of text
configured, it shall be that last screen so use ALT+Fx going up to it).
Click to start synaptic
See if there's new text on screen....
You can also do a dmesg from a xterm and see if there's something added...

It's hard for anyone to understand what bugs you may have if you don't
give us more information or give us a way to reproduce it somehow
(without resorting to installing Windows)...

Did I understand you run Debian with Linux subsystem for Windows or
something with a similar name ?

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside